Sunday 27 November 2011

Mildred at 21


I know the lights hurt you, because they hurt me too.
The memories flicker, and fire bright blue,
You lie there in pain, no one knows what to say.
Your inflections reveal, this could be any day.

Mildred, young girl, you lie awake at night,
Gaining some comfort from the darkened respite.
Mildred, old girl, you were once just like me,
But your memory stutters, and one becomes three.

I spoke to you gently and smoothed back your hair,
If only they knew, then maybe they'd care,
The pain in your side is apparent to see,
Yet help is denied, and they had to stop me.

I held your hand tight, and whispered your name, 
The brightest blue iris, its beauty to blame.
Your chatter, your calls, it doesn't matter what you said,
For the Mildred that once was, is now left unread.

No comments:

Post a Comment